Peninsula Sanitary Service/Stanford Recycling
In 2016, Stanford University diverted 64% of its waste from landfill through a comprehensive program of source reduction, reuse, recycling, and composting. Our goal is to reduce waste, reuse what we can, and divert all recyclables and compostables away from landfill. With proper sorting, we can achieve a Zero Waste Stanford!
For over 50 years, Peninsula Sanitary Service, Inc. (PSSI) and the Stanford Recycling Center has partnered with the University to provide the greater Stanford University community with recycling, composting, and solid waste management services.
PSSI provides the following services on campus
- collection, processing, and marketing of recyclables
- collection and of food and compostable materials
- collection and disposal of trash
- frontloader dumpster and roll-off debris box service
- recycling and composting bins for interior locations
- recycling, compost and landfill bins for special events
- street sweeping services
- operation of the Stanford Recycling Drop-Off Center
- community education and training about how to reduce waste, reuse, recycle, and compost
We use several kinds and sizes of bins to collect waste. Take a look here to familiarize yourself with the bins we use on campus to collect recyclables, compostables, and landfill trash.
Are you among the 100 buildings or 8500 people on campus that have switched to new deskside paper recycling and mini trash can program? Get more information here.
Ready to compost your food scraps, food soiled paper and compostable plastics? We have the resources to help set up a program in your building.
Events Recycling and Composting
Place a work order to receive recycling, composting and landfill trash bins for your event. We are happy to help you figure how many to order.
- All recycling, composting and trash bins are handled by PSSI. Bins are generally provided on a 1:1 ratio of recycling, composting, landfill.
- Outdoor garbage pick-up services are provided by the Grounds Department.
- Indoor garbage pick-up services are provided by our Custodial Vendor.
- All other requests for Event Services must be submitted using the Event Services request form.
Zero Waste Education and Training
We love to teach people on campus how to properly sort their waste to achieve the highest level of diversion! We offer
- Waste Reduction Training (Be Well berry qualified!)
- Tabling at events
- Waste audits
- Tours of the recycling facility on campus as well as Bay Area facilities
- Zero Waste Guidelines, customized labels, and signage
Contact us to schedule.
Stanford University's Waste Reduction Program
Stanford has one of longest running university recycling programs in the country with roots going back to 1976. We practice the 5R's of Resource Management
- Rot (Compost)
- Buy Recycled
We are proud of our success and the support of our community!
Everyone plays a role in waste reduction but we specfically appreciate our partnership with: