The Arizona Garden is a historical garden in the process of renovation and preservation. It is located on the south side of the mausoleum off of Quarry Road between Campus Drive and Arboretum Road. The garden, also known as the Cactus Garden, was designed for Jane and Leland Stanford by landscape architect Rudolf Ulrich between 1881 and 1883. During the early years of the university, the Cactus Garden became the meeting place for many courting Stanford students.
There are many unusual plants within the garden. Selections from the Cacti family include columnar, barrel and monstrose forms. Selections of succulents include Aloes, Crassulas and rosette-forming Agaves. View a map of the garden which includes pictures of the plants.
A dedicated group of volunteers meet once a month to work in the garden. We thank all the individuals and organizations for their generous support! For further information on the garden visit the Arizona Cactus Garden. Photos on this page by Kristina Seyer Smith, Manager of Maps and Records, Stanford University LBRE.
To make a donation of plants, funds or time to the restoration project, please contact Christy Smith at email@example.com or telephone 650-723-7459