OVERVIEW: To further promote and facilitate water efficiency, the Water Efficiency staff research and test new technology to determine applicability for campus use. Some examples of pilot projects that have tested water efficient technology include fixtures, building and research equipment, and landscaping irrigation. See the links below for highlighted projects, water consumption statistics, and information on rebates.
News about Water Supply:
On July 28, 2014, Mandatory Drought Regulations were passed by the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB), taking previously voluntary reductions, called for by Governor Brown on April 25, and making them mandatory. The following are required:
EMERGENCY DROUGHT MEASURES:
1. All domestic water customers are required to reduce outdoor irrigation; a 2-day per week restriction applies to lawns.
PROHIBITIONS FOR ALL WATER USERS IN CALIFORNIA:
2. The application of potable water to any driveway or sidewalk.
3. Using potable water to water outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes runoff to adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots or structures.
4. Using a hose that dispenses potable water to wash a motor vehicle, unless the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle.
5. Using potable water in a fountain or decorative water feature, unless the water is recirculated. Recycled water is not mandated, but encouraged for fountain use.
To view the official press release, please visit http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/press_room/press_releases/2014/pr071514.pdf. In addition, the April 25 Executive Order can be found at http://gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=18496. Previously, on January 17, Governor Brown issued a Declaration of Emergency for the State of California due to drought and severe water shortage conditions in various parts of the state (visit http://gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=18373). For the latest Drought News go to http://ca.gov/drought/
For more information about the emergency water conservation regulations see information provided by the SWRCB in the following links:
For a call to action and to see what Stanford is doing, for the September edition click HERE.
Need ideas on how to reduce your water use? View our fact sheet on water efficiency and conservation tips.
Water Efficiency Videos
For links to additional information, please visit our Contacts & Resources page: http://lbre.stanford.edu/sem/Contact_Resources