Design Review Instructions
The Design Review process begins with a call or email to the Property Services department of the Stanford Real Estate Office notifying us of a pending design review application.
- The Applicant should briefly describe the project, i.e., new sign, new landscaping, or new building
- State where the project is located. (Stanford Research Park or Non Stanford Research Park)
- Provide us with your name, company, phone/fax number, and type of project you are planning
- Indicate whether the project is a new building or a project that increases the size of existing buildings, (Major Design Review Package) or not (Minor Design Review Package)
- Indicate if the applicant is the building owner, or not, in which case we require a letter of approval for the proposed project from the building owner.
The following materials must be submitted for a complete Design Review Package to the Property Services department of the Stanford Real Estate Office.
The applicant should complete “non-SRP” forms if they are not tenants/lessee of the Stanford Research Park.
If the applicant is a tenant/lessee of the Stanford Research Park, then they should complete the SRP forms.
- Design Review Signature Forms to be completed by ALL applicants:
- Depending on your project, all applicants must submit either a Major Project Submittal Checklist or a Minor Project Submittal Checklist:
- Major Project Submittal Checklist: if the project is a new building or project that increases the size of existing buildings, then the applicant needs to complete a major project submittal checklist:
- Minor Project Submittal Checklist: (i.e. signage, landscaping, exterior modifications to existing structures). The applicant should check all applicable items, and complete the expected project schedule:
- All applicants must submit the City of Palo Alto form with the added Stanford language found on our website:
- Plans and materials to be submitted with package:
- (3) half-sized sets of complete drawings along with the site plan showing the location(s) of the signage or improvement
- one set of the following: color rendering(s); photos of existing and proposed structure(s)
- Details of materials to be used in constructing the signage or improvement: please include color and material samples.
Please note that anything the applicant submits to the City of Palo Alto or resubmits must also be reviewed by the Stanford Real Estate Office.
All forms should be typed and applicant must obtain written permission from the Stanford Ground Lessee for any work of improvement on the property.
For your reference, The Stanford Research Park Handbook (pdf) has additional design review information for Stanford Research Park properties.
- Page 7 of the Handbook discusses structure and site modifications.
- Page 9 has information on providing our office with notices prior to starting work.
Please deliver or mail plans with completed forms to our office located at:
Office of Stanford Real Estate
2755 Sand Hill Road, Suite 100
Menlo Park, CA 94025
I.D. Mail Code: 0205
Feel free to call, send an e-mail, or fax message if you have any questions:
Direct: (650) 926-0218
Fax: (650) 854-9268
Once the complete Design Review package has been received, our office will conduct an initial review. We will notify the applicant if the project requires the opinion of an outside architect. The review process can take five to 10 working days, sometimes longer if further review by the University’s Architect and Planning Office is necessary.
The Director of Property Services will review the Architects’ comments, and approve or provide comments back to the applicant. The Director will sign the City of Palo Alto Application and the Design Review Signature Form. The plans will be stamped as reviewed by Property Services, and two sets will be returned to the applicant and one set retained in our office with a copy of the application. Our office will notify the Applicant once the plans have been reviewed and are ready to be picked up at our Reception Desk.
If a project cannot be approved as submitted, a letter will be sent with conditions required to obtain approval. The Applicant is required to make the necessary revisions to the plans and resubmit the Design Review project to Property Services. The project will again be reviewed to confirm the revisions have been made to the specifications of Property Services.
Some projects do not require the opinion of an outside architect, such as signage. The Director will review these projects, and either approve or return comments for revisions. This generally will take two to five working days.
The Applicant may wish the Design Review project to be reviewed by our Property Services department and the City of Palo Alto concurrently. The Director of Property Services will first review the project to determine if it is one that can be submitted concurrently. Some projects, such as historic buildings, may be deemed at the Director’s discretion to require Property Services’ review before submitting to the City of Palo Alto. If the concurrent review is acceptable, the Applicant must sign a Concurrent Review Waiver Form. The City of Palo Alto ARB application is then completed with the necessary revisions.